Sedation Dentistry is often used for general anxiety and aversions to dental procedures. It is also used to benefit other types of patients. Dr. Marra is trained and certified in the use of sedation.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry uses medication to relieve any anxiety and puts the patient at ease and into a state of relaxation for their procedure. There are three types of sedation offered to patients.
Oral Sedation is administered in pill form and will enable the patient to stay alert and responsive while not feeling any pain or discomfort. It may take some time to become effective and several hours to wear off completely. It’s possible the patient may need assistance getting home.
Nitrous Oxide is also known as Laughing Gas. It is inhaled via a tiny cannula placed under the nose. It provides similar sedation to the oral option, but nitrous has the added benefit of taking effect sooner and wearing off almost immediately.
IV Sedation is the strongest type of sedation for procedures. IV allows control over the level of comfort and careful monitoring of the patient’s vitals. The IV allows the medication to be delivered directly to the bloodstream, which will enable the sedative to take effect slowly. It will take several hours to wear off completely. IV sedation provides the most profound state of relaxation, and the patients generally have no memory of the procedure. The patient will need assistance getting up and home.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry is used for those who suffer from dental anxiety and fear. Dental anxiety can manifest on a spectrum, ranging from pre-procedure anxiety to overwhelming fear and anxiety. It may cause patients to skip overall dental care leading to needing a more intensive restorative procedure. Sedation dentistry allows the patient to relax and be comfortable.
- Patients with more complex dental problems are likely to use sedation if required to have a lengthy or complex treatment to alleviate pain and discomfort and generally make the treatment speed by.
- Patients who may have conditions or an inability to remain still or calm may also benefit from sedation. It provides a calming effect to help ease the patient into a state of relaxation of body and mind.
- Patients with a sensitive gag reflex can benefit from sedation dentistry as sedation minimizes discomfort and relaxes the body to a state where the reflexes are not a problem for the patient and make the doctor’s job easier.
- Patients who have a fear of needles are a candidate for sedation dentistry. Oral sedation options are available to ease anxiety and fears over needles/IV sedation.
- Sedation dentistry can allow patients with complex dental needs to receive multiple treatments during one visit, saving time and money.
Sedation Dentistry in Cohoes, NY
Do you think you could benefit from Sedation dentistry? Call or schedule an appointment online with one of our experienced dentists in Cohoes.